The African National Congress (ANC) has announced the recall President Jacob Zuma. Secretary General of the ANC, Ace Magashule, announced the recall, saying that the National Executive Committee of the party came to the decision after extensive discussions. Magashule said that the NEC and Zuma couldn’t agree on the timeframes for him to step down.
Zuma requested a minimum of three months, while the ANC wanted the transition to happen sooner. “We did not take this decision because he did anything wrong,” said Magashule. “President Zuma has not been found guilty of anything in a court of law.” No deadline has been set by which Zuma must resign, but Magashule said that they expect President Zuma to respond tomorrow.
On the issue of whether the ANC believes Zuma will resign, Magashule said that when the organisation recalls its deployee, it expects them to respond accordingly.
Magashule also revealed that the NEC believes that Cyril Ramaphosa must take over the Presidency of the country.
- ^ Zuma offered immunity from prosecution if he turns on the Guptas — Report (mybroadband.co.za)
Members of South Africa’s newly elected African National Congress’ executive committee will meet with President Jacob Zuma to advise him to step down, Johannesburg’s City Press reported, citing unidentified people. The ruling party’s leaders have been discussing a “conflict-free exit” for Zuma, after his term as president of the ANC came to an end last week, with Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa taking the helm, according to the newspaper. Ramaphosa beat Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, who was backed by the president, to the top ANC position in a closely contested vote last week.
Ramaphosa and new ANC secretary-general Ace Magashule would lead discussions with Zuma, City Press reported, citing unidentified party officials.
If attempts to recall Zuma fail within the ANC structures, an opposition party is expected to move a no-confidence motion against the president in parliament, the newspaper reported.
Zuma’s transition was discussed when he met with elders of the party, including former Deputy President Kgalema Motlanthe, according to City Press.
- ^ Zuma’s son, the Hawks raid, and the R54-million bribe (mybroadband.co.za)
Brian Molefe’s return as Eskom’s CEO is incomprehensible, the South African Communist Party said on Friday. “It just doesn’t make sense. It’s absurd.
It’s like we are trading perversion for normality,” general secretary Blade Nzimande said at an imbizo to discuss problems facing the “national democratic revolution”. Several civic organisations were in attendance. “And who pays the price at the end of the day?
It’s the ANC,” he said. The SACP had nothing against Molefe, but was concerned about the controversy surrounding him. African National Congress secretary general Gwede Mantashe refused to comment on Molefe’s reappointment.
He said processes were underway. Eskom, like any other state-owned entity, was not a cash cow to benefit the elite, he said. Molefe announced his resignation from Eskom in November 2016, following revelations in former Public Protector Thuli Madonsela’s State of Capture report that he had been in contact with the Gupta family.
He was sworn in as an ANC MP on February 23. His return to Eskom was announced on Monday after the board rescinded its decision to grant him early retirement. Public Enterprises Minister Lynne Brown had rejected the board’s proposal that he get a R30 million pension pay-out.
The ANC subsequently told her to reverse the decision to reappoint him.