Categories

across-the-room

E-cigarette explodes in California teen's pocket — RT USA

An e-cigarette blew up while stored in a teen’s pocket, shooting itself 15 feet through the inside of a grocery store in Orange County, California. The 19-year-old was working at an Albertsons supermarket on Monday night when the e-cigarette battery exploded after coming into contact with his keys. The battery caused the e-cigarette to catch fire. The unit flew from the pocket, ripping his pants to the knee. The device narrowly missed a co-worker as it shot across the room, according to reports from other employees.

The teenager was taken to hospital where he was treated for burns to his thigh. While e-cigarettes offer a safer alternative to traditional cigarettes, the trade off is a risk of explosion. On Tuesday, a truck crashed in Jackson County, Indiana after an e-cigarette exploded in the driver s face.

In November, an e-cigarette exploded in Cordero Caples face as he smoked, leaving him with a broken neck and burns. In March, Chris Brookin s e-cigarette exploded in his hand, firing shrapnel into his hand and setting his room on fire. It sounded like a shotgun, Brookins told the OC Register. Laura Baty, an 18-year-old barmaid was terrified when an e-cigarette exploded while she was working in a Yorkshire pub.

The device had been charging when it shot at her.