Following on from my Conwy gigapixel1 image, this is the second to be published and taken as the sun was going down behind the Conwy mountain, the image was captured from an area known locally as the Vardre, it s also the site of the Deganwy castle ruins. The image was captured on the 18th February 2016. Explore the image, zoom in and you ll be amazed what you can see from up there. This image is best viewed from a computer connected to broadband and by clicking the fullscreen button. If you would like to purchase this image please see below
MPs are warning the government not to forget small, rural communities in the roll-out of high-speed internet connections.
There s a target of rolling out superfast broadband to 95 per cent of the country by 2017. But a report from the Commons Committee overseeing rural affairs says there s a risk that the remaining 5 per cent of householders could feel increasingly cut off.
MPs said Britain risks becoming a two-tier society if certain houses are not able to connect to the internet. A total 850,000 people still cannot access broadband at even basic speeds, such as 2 megabytes per second.
Anne McIntosh, Chair of the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee, said that rather than keep investing in those areas which already have fast speed, lets reallocate the funds to those rural communities that really do feel they ve been left behind .
She said: Broadband is an essential public utility. Schoolchildren can t do their homework, people can t pay their tax without it .
Ed Vaizey, Minister of State for Culture and the Digital Economy, recognized that superfast broadband is not everywhere in the UK, because it doesn t make commercial sense for the big telecom companies to install the hardware in rural areas.
The MPs suggested that the Government should provide rural households without access to the Internet with vouchers to subsidise satellite broadband connections.
Wifi sheeps and riverbanks in rural Conwy
An ambitious project has been recently launched in rural Conwy to turn farm fields into digital smart zones. The main idea is to connect the internet to everything from sheep to riverbanks so that the countryside can benefit from the digital revolution.
The project was launched at the Lancaster University and has been awarded 171,000 to assess if the Internet of Things (IOT) concept can be extended to rural areas.
IOT technology allows everyday objects, from fridges to doorbells and lights, to be controlled remotely using mobile phones, with a two-way flow of information mediated by apps.
Digital collars could help to track animals, soil sensors could warn of erosion, riverbank devices can give flooding alerts and even badger tags could provide an early warning system for bovine TB.
The possibilities are limitless, said project leader Prof. Gordon Blair.
The project began in December with the deployment of riverbank sensors to monitor rainfall. It will eventually be extended to two or three locations.
By Jos L.
Fern ndez Cancelas
EE’s 4G mobile broadband services are now available to more than 80 per cent of the UK population, it has been claimed.
The operator added another 200 towns and cities to its next-generation network in Q4 2014 alone, and more than 350 last year as a whole.
As such, 4G EE services are now available to consumers and businesses in 510 urban centres with a population of 10,000+ nationwide.
Hastings, Worthing, Worcester, Scunthorpe, Crewe, Rugby, Bognor Regis, Stratford-Upon-Avon, Bangor and Llandudno are among the towns to have recently switched on to 4G mobile broadband.
And with its increasing focus on rural areas, EE also activated 4G in more than 1,000 villages and small towns in the last few months of 2014.
This means a total of 3,894 nationwide now have access to super-fast broadband for the first time.
EE is hoping to increase its national coverage level from 80 per cent to 98 per cent by the end of 2015, ensuring more people can benefit from 4G services in the UK.
As well as extending its geographic reach, EE is looking to build its subscriber base.
The company added a record 5.7 million customers to the 4G network in 2014, with 1.7 million in the last two months alone.
This means EE exceeded its target of six million customers in total by the end of the year.
It now has more 4G subscribers than any other individual mobile operator in Europe.
“In addition to this significant customer growth, we continued to drive record network expansion across the year, as well as introduce more accessible 4G EE plans,” EE claimed.
New options included 1 pay as you go packs, and high-spec but low-cost 4G devices such as the EE Kestrel, it stated.
“Many new 4G customers have upgraded from Orange and T-Mobile plans to get the extra benefit of the country s fastest 4G network,” the firm added.