The hospital radio service for Morecambe Bay Hospitals has announced that they have received the biggest donation in the history of the station. After negotiations with Mitsubishi Electric Europe, including sponsorship of Bay Trust Radio s Sport, the company donated a stunning 2000 to the hospital radio station, which is based in the Westmorland General Hospital in Kendal, whilst also broadcasting to patients, staff and visitors of the Royal Lancaster Infirmary and online for those recovering at home. The deal means that Bay Trust Radio have been able to buy a brand new jingle package for use on air from Ignite Jingles, based in Manchester, which is set to go live this month.
Another purchase from the donation is a state of the art portable satellite broadband system from Europsat, which will enable volunteers across the station to broadcast from anywhere in the country, without the need for phone signal or any phone or broadband connection.
John Williamson, Station President, said: We re pleased to announce the news and we thank Mitsubishi for their kind donation to the station. This has made a huge difference to everyone here at the station and means we will be able to provide an even better service for our listeners than ever before.
The satellite broadband system will mean we are able to broadcast from even more events, in particular the ones that are held in rural areas that have proved difficult in the past due to the lack of 4G or even 3G signal. Bay Trust Radio has the most advanced outside broadcast equipment that many other stations would love to have. We plan to make the most of this and bring as many events as we can back to patients, staff and visitors of our hospitals who otherwise would miss out. The station, which is run entirely by volunteers, want to hear from people planning an event in 2016 and are interested in booking them to broadcast live from it.
They don t charge for attendance, but simply ask they can have their collection buckets around to raise some money for the charity.
For more information, contact
Jordan Blackburn on a lifesupport machine at the Cumberland Infirmary
A man who was in a critical condition after taking drugs at Kendal Calling has made an emotional plea to warn others of the dangers of taking drugs. Jordan Poddy Blackburn, 20, of Millom posted a plea on his Facebook page showing himself a critical condition at the Cumberland Infirmary.
Jordan Poddy Blackburn
Jordan said: Many lives over the weekend, not just those lost, but the familys of those involved have been destroyed including my own by the careless use of uppers at festivals, or any other time for that matter.
I really think I need to raise awareness and show people what the consequences are just off a little pill. I m not telling people to like or share this post, just please read and think hard about what you re putting in your body, or at least know what you re putting in your body.
I ve been lucky enough to have a second chance at life and i m clinging to every part for me and Chris, so the most i can do is let people know the consequences they put themselves in and their family.
Please be careful guys and share if you can just to let others know.
Miss you mate, I ll make you proud.
Jordan was discharged from hospital yesterday.
Police can confirm that another person who attended Kendal Calling have been admitted to the Cumberland Infirmary with adverse effects from drugs.
A 20-year-old woman from Lancaster is in a serious but stable condition. Police have confirmed the identity of the man who died following believed substance abuse at the festival. Christian Pay, aged 18, from Millom was pronounced dead earlier on Friday 31st July after being admitted to the Cumberland Infirmary. Officers are supporting the family.
A spokesperson from Kendal Calling said: We are deeply saddened that a male who attended Kendal Calling passed away at the Cumberland Infirmary.
Our thoughts and condolences are with his family and we are doing everything possible to support the police with their enquiries. Chief Inspector Mairi Stamper said: Despite strong warnings being issued about the risks associated with taking drugs, there are still some people risking their health by taking substances at the event.
There are numerous types of drugs that we believe may be in circulation, we have recently been advised of an orange powder / crystals. However we cannot say with any certainty which drugs are causing the issues, therefore in order for people to stay safe it is important that people take notice of the safety advice that is being given and that people do not take drugs of any kind, pills or powder, at Kendal Calling. There has been improvement in the three people who were in the Cumberland Infirmary Saturday evening:
- A 29-year-old man from Manchester is in a serious but stable.
- A 34-year-old man from Manchester has been discharged.
- An 18-year-old man from Carlisle has been discharged.
The two people who were admitted on Friday to the Cumberland Infirmary, remain in hospital:
- A 19-year-old male from Millom is in a serious but stable condition.
- A 29-year-old woman from Bolton is in a serious but stable condition.
Drugs have been seized and police said the following drugs were in circulation:
- A blue tablet with an Adidas logo.
- A yellow powder, believed to be MDMA.
- An orange oval tablet with a Rolls Royce logo.
- A green tablet with a white fleck.
- A plain grey tablet with a white fleck.
Superintendent Mark Pannone said: These are just some of the drugs seized.
Our advice is simple do not take any drugs at Kendal Calling 2015.
It is never safe to take unknown substances as you cannot be sure of what they contain.
There is a risk that these substances are on still on site and those attending the festival need to be aware of the potential dangers of taking substances such as these.
Police can confirm that the following four people who were arrested on suspicion of possession with intent to supply, have been released on bail:
- An 18 year old man from Manchester
- A 54 year old man from Manchester
- A 41 year old man from Manchester
- A 44 year old man from Manchester