- Blank Media
- Bluetooth Adapters
- Computer Cases
- Computer Components
- Controller Cards
- GPS & Sat Nav
- Graphics Cards
- Hard Drives
- Hubs & Switches
- Input Devices
- Joysticks and Gaming
- PDAs & Accessories
- Pen Drives
- Power Supplies
- Sound Cards
- Storage Media
- Wireless & Networking
- Wireless Adapters
- Wireless Routers
Applications for new digital pay TV channels open
The Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (ICASA) has opened applications for broadcasters to apply for multiplexer 3 digital terrestrial television spectrum. ICASA issued an invitation to apply for this spectrum in September 2015, but did not issue the license. MultiChoice launched its digital terrestrial pay TV service (GOtv) in South Africa during February 2016.
Invitation to Apply
Multiplexer 3 (MUX 3) is intended for providing additional commercial subscription television broadcasting services, and ICASA has said the successful applicant will be assigned 45% of MUX 3 capacity to launch pay TV services. Among the criteria to qualify for the spectrum are:
- The applicant must be a television broadcasting service licensee, as defined in the Promotion of Diversity and Competition on Digital Terrestrial Television Regulations.
- The applicant must have a minimum of 30% ownership held by historically disadvantaged person(s), or have a level 4 Broad Based Black Economic Empowerment (BBBEE) status.
Prior to awarding this spectrum licence, the applicant must provide proof of funding to support the proposed launch date.
According to ICASA, the licensee must use the assigned radio frequencies within two years of it being granted. However, the licensee must also inform ICASA on the actual date of launch. Once a launch date has been set, the successful applicant will have two years to roll out 50% of the distribution network for the spectrum it has been licensed.
The successful applicant must also ensure that the appointed signal distributor for its 45% of MUX 3 capacity distributes the remaining 55% to free-to-air TV broadcasters. This must be done without prejudice, through a commercial arrangement. ICASA said that it will license the additional free-to-air broadcasters who must be given access to the remaining capacity of MUX 3.
The closing date to apply for 45% of MUX 3 to offer pay TV services is 25 January 2018.
- ^ applications (www.gov.za)
- ^ in September 2015 (mybroadband.co.za)
- ^ MultiChoice launched its digital terrestrial pay TV service (GOtv) (mybroadband.co.za)
- ^ on its website (southafrica.gotvafrica.com)
- ^ Set-top boxes won’t be encrypted — Minister (mybroadband.co.za)