How to cancel Netflix
Netflix is great for getting your fill of on-demand movies, but it’s not the only movie-streaming service out there. Perhaps your head has been turned by the delights of Amazon Prime or NowTV (both of which have free trials available – sign up to Prime or sign up to NowTV here), or maybe your free trial is simply nearing its end and you don’t want to be charged. Either way, here’s how to unsubscribe from Netflix.
- Sign into Netflix and select any profile
- Click on the downward arrow at the top right corner of the page
- Choose Account
- Under Membership & Billing click the grey ‘Cancel Membership’ button
- If you’re certain you want to cancel click the blue ‘Finish subscription’ button
- Your Netflix membership will end with your current billing period
Handily, Netflix will keep details of what you watched during your time spent with the service for one whole year after you close your account, so you’ll be able to return to Netflix with all your personalised recommendations intact if you want to.
How to cancel your Netflix membership on Apple TV
If you set up your Netflix account through iTunes (probably on the Apple TV) and therefore use iTunes billing to pay for the service, you’ll need to go through slightly different steps to unsubscribe. On your iOS device, you’ll need to go to the iOS App Store, and then tap Featured. From there, scroll to the bottom of the page and tap on your Apple ID (it’ll say Apple ID: and your email address will be here).
Then tap View App ID.
After entering your password, you’ll come to your account page. Scroll down and tap Manage App Subscriptions (if you don’t see that option, you probably don’t pay through iTunes after all so you’ll need to follow the steps in the section above). When you find the subscription you want to manage, tap it and then turn off auto-renewal.
If you don’t have an iOS device you can use iTunes on your computer.
Sign in, and then go to Store > View Account from the navigation bar at the top (you may be prompted to enter your password).
There, scroll to the Settings section and you’ll see a button that says ‘Manage’ to the right of Subscriptions.
You can now turn off Auto-Renewal here, which will cancel your subscription.
- ^ sign up to Prime (www.amazon.co.uk)
- ^ sign up to NowTV (www.nowtv.com)
- ^ How to get American Netflix in UK (www.techadvisor.co.uk)
- ^ Netflix (www.netflix.com)
- ^ Netflix vs Amazon Prime Instant Video vs NowTV (www.techadvisor.co.uk)
- ^ How to cancel Amazon Prime (and get a refund) (www.techadvisor.co.uk)