5G is coming soon
5G will happen in 2019, according to executive vice president of Qualcomm Technologies, Cristiano Amon. The earliest time for the authorisation of 5G standards by the ITU was 2020, but Qualcomm is working with 40 other companies to speed up the standardisation. The process will be finished in the first half of 2019 and mass adoption will happen in 2020, said Amon.
Requirements the ITU laid down for 5G include:
- Spectrum efficiency must be 3x better than IMT-Advanced.
- The peak data rate must be better by a factor of 20.
- Area Traffic Capacity must be 100x better than IMT-Advanced.
- The standard must work while travelling at 500km/h.
- Network Energy Efficiency must be 100x better.
- Latency must be 1 millisecond.
- Connection density must be 1 million connections per square kilometre.