Huge growth for OpenView HD in South Africa
OpenView HD recently passed 825,000 set-top box activations “and is growing nicely”, e.tv told MyBroadband. This means the broadcaster has activated over 436,000 new set-top boxes since last year, which represents a growth spurt of 112%. e.tv recently launched four channels that were exclusive to OpenView HD on DStv. This raised questions about e.tv’s plans for its free-to-view satellite TV platform, and whether it plans to shut it down.
The company stated that the four channels (eMovies+, eMovies Extra, eToonz+, and eExtra) would continue to be available on OpenView HD, and that it has no plans to shut down the platform. “The viewers who watch the e.tv channels on the DStv platform will be different to those watching on OpenView HD,” said e.tv. “It has always been eMedia Investments’ plan to make the e.tv channels available on as many platforms as possible to ensure as wide an audience as possible.”
A timeline of OpenView HD’s subscriber growth is detailed below.
- October 2013: Launch
- July 2014: 37,606 households
- August 2015: 200,000 activations
- February 2016: 350,000 activations
- May 2016: 388,812 activations
- May 2017: 825,000 activations
- ^ 37,606 (mybroadband.co.za)
- ^ 200,000 (mybroadband.co.za)
- ^ 350,000 (mybroadband.co.za)
- ^ 388,812 (mybroadband.co.za)
- ^ Why e.tv launched four channels on DStv that were exclusive to OpenView HD (mybroadband.co.za)