Samsung has launched its new Notebook 9 Pen and Notebook 9 devices. “These new notebooks ensure a computing experience that is powerful, portable, connected, and secure,” said Samsung. The Notebook 9 Pen is a 2-in-1 PC, and features a metal chassis and a 360-degree hinge to convert to a tablet.
Its S Pen stylus is battery free and built into the device, added Samsung. The S Pen can recognise 4,096 levels of pressure, and features a 0.7mm tip with tilt detection to allow a natural writing experience. The Notebook 9 is available in 13.3-inch and 15-inch screen screen sizes, with the bezel around the screen measuring 6.2mm.
The Samsung Notebook 9 Pen and Notebook 9 will be available from December 2017.
|Model||Notebook 9 13.3-inch
||Notebook 9 15-inch
||Notebook 9 Pen|
|CPU||8th Gen Intel Core i7 Processor||8th Gen Intel Core i7 Processor||8th Gen Intel Core i7 Processor|
|RAM||Up to 16GB||Up to 16GB||Up to 16GB|
|Storage||Up to 1TB SSD||Up to 1TB SSD||Up to 512GB|
|Graphics||Intel HD||Intel HD / Nvidia GeForce MX150||Intel HD|
|Weight||995g||1,250g – 1,290g||995g|
|Dimensions||309.4 x 208 x 14.9 mm||347.9 x 229.4 x 15.4 mm||310.5 x 206.6 x 14.6-16.5 mm|
|Ports||USB-C, USB 3.0, HDMI, uSD||USB-C, USB 3.0, USB 2.0, HDMI, uSD||USB-C, USB 3.0, HDMI, uSD|
|Display||13.3-inch 1,920 x 1,080||15.0-inch 1,920 x 1,080||13.3-inch 1,920 x 1,080|
|Camera||720p||720p||IR camera, 720p|
|Biometrics||Fingerprint Sensor||Fingerprint Sensor||Fingerprint Sensor|
Notebook 9 Pen
I was walking my IoT the other day when this AI came up to me asking about IT’s relevance in a world of VR and VAR. I 4G’d at the absurdity of such a question. Everyone knows you can’t begin to #3-D print without some form of PhD.
Duh. Today’s technology is advancing faster than most people can decipher logic from hogwash in the previous sentence. With Samsung’s new offering, you don’t need to understand any of the complicated terminologies offered up be tech geeks.
Bixby is a recently launched, highly intelligent virtual assistant for smartphones, which offers a new way to interact with your phone. Its smart interface makes engaging with your device, services and apps more intuitive and seamless. Simply put, Bixby will be there for you at 2 o’clock in the morning when neither of your friends is up for a two and half hour telephone conversation.
Here are ten things you don’t (and need to) know about Bixby.
- Bixby is gender neutral. Bixby can be modified to speak in either a female or male voice. (Like Ironman you can have your own F.R.I.D.A.Y or Jarvis)
- Bixby is customisable, meaning you can switch off your phone’s alarm in the morning, have the weather for your city read back to you, and have a recipient of your choosing receive a warm and fuzzy good morning text, simply by using a voice shortcut like “good morning Bixby.”
- Bixby understands the way you actually converse without having to resort to that robotic-speak. It even understands cross-application commands.
For example, you could ask Bixby to “send the picture just taken to Mom,” Bixby will know which photo you are referring to and will text it to your mom.
- Bixby is no quitter.
Even when Bixby does not understand the request, instead of giving up, Bixby will ask for more information to be able to complete a task.
- With comprehensive functionality, Bixby lets you switch from voice command to touch, vision, text and back to voice. In other words, if you don’t want Bixby talking back to you, you can use the app or touch to perform the same tasks. Should you opt for the voice function, you can have Bixby type out an email simply by dictating it.
Bixby can even read it back to you, and if you feel edits should be done, Bixby can edit it for you.
- Bixby doesn’t forget. Bixby Voice records all of the questions you ask, along with all the answers that it has delivered in response. You can then look back at something you’ve asked in the past.
You can pull up these archives from within the Bixby app.
- Bixby Vision allows you to translate texts, search for images in the way your camera sees images (similar to Google reverse search) and shop for those items.
- Bixby pays attention. It learns your daily patterns, speech type and preferences to improve and give you better results.
- Bixby can handle complicated tasks like opening an app in a split-screen view, rotating misaligned photos, reminding you where you parked, playing videos on a nearby TV, and composing emails. It can even gather all the photos you took last week into a new album labelled “Vacation” and share it with your friends.
- Bixby can perform two-step actions like, “Call an Uber and text the details to my mother” or “Open Instagram and post my most recent photo.”
Already Bixby has over 10 million users worldwide and that number is set to grow exponentially when Samsung integrates Bixby into its other smart appliances like Tvs and web operating fridges.
Whether you have a walkable IoT, a PhD in IT or simply use your device as a mobile office, Bixby is here to make your life easier in the process.
This article was published in partnership with Samsung.
Amazon Prime Video will now stream in HDR10+ on Samsung QLED and 4K TVs, the company announced. Around 100 shows and movies will initially support HDR10+, including hits like The Grand Tour. HDR10+ features 10-bit colour and is an open and royalty-free standard.
Its competitor in the market is Dolby Vision, which supports 12-bit colour.