Australia struggles to deliver national broadband plan
Try all of the FT’s content with a Premium Digital Trial 4 weeks for ?1.00*
- Access to FT’s award-winning news on desktop, mobile and tablet
- Personalised email briefings by industry, journalist or sector
- Portfolio tools to help manage your investments
- FastFT – market-moving news and views, 24 hours a day
- Brexit Briefing – Your essential guide to the impact of the UK-EU split
All the benefits of Standard Digital, plus:
- Unlimited access to all content
- Instant Insights column for comment and analysis as news unfolds
- FT Confidential Research – in-depth China and Southeast Asia analysis
- ePaper – the digital replica of the printed newspaper
- Full access to LEX – our agenda setting daily commentary
- Exclusive emails, including a weekly email from our Editor, Lionel Barber
- Full access to EM Squared- news and analysis service on emerging markets
All the benefits of Premium Digital, plus:
- Free delivery to your home or office, Monday to Saturday
- FT Weekend – a stimulating blend of news and lifestyle
Access for your team
Siro’s decision to exit the broadband race comes just five months after the Government controversially removed 300,000 homes from its original plan and placed them back into Eir’s commercial rollout plan. ESB/Vodafone1 joint venture Siro2 has dropped out of the Government’s National Broadband Plan (NBP), suggesting there was no longer a “business case” for its continued participation. The move is major blow to the process, which aims to bring high-speed broadband to rural Ireland, as it leaves just two potential bidders – Eir and Enet – in the procurement race.
This is likely to result in a less competitive tendering process, which could inflate the State subsidy required and/or extend the rollout period, which has already been delayed several times.
“Following a comprehensive review, Siro cannot develop a competitive business case to justify continued participation in the National Broadband Plan bid process and therefore has decided to withdraw,” the company said in a statement, noting its original plan to build a high-speed fibre broadband network in 50 regional Irish towns would be unaffected by the decision
Chief executive Sean Atkinson said the decision to withdraw had not been taken lightly.
“We will continue with our original plans focusing on transforming Ireland’s regional towns, putting them on a par for high speed connectivity with cities like Tokyo and Hong Kong,” he added. The company’s decision to exit the race comes just five months after the Government controversially removed 300,000 homes from its original plan and placed them back into Eir’s commercial rollout plan. Siro had long viewed the 300,000 homes as the quasi commercial end of the project, suggesting their removal had undermined the viability of the scheme for the other bidders.
Anne O’Leary, chief executive of Vodafone Ireland, added: “Naturally we are disappointed that Siro is withdrawing from the National Broadband Plan tender, but our vision of creating a Gigabit society in Ireland is unaffected as the Siro roll out continues as part of our EUR450 million investment with ESB.”
Also commenting on the decision Pat O’Doherty, chief executive of ESB said: “Siro’s withdrawal from the National Broadband Plan tender process was a difficult decision, it was made on the basis that Siro was unable to make a business case for continued participation in the process.
As it stands, the Government’s plan now covers 542,000 homes and businesses in rural Ireland. Eir has been accused of gaming the Government’s process by including the 300,000 homes in its commercial rollout at the last minute having previously deemed them uneconomic. Mininster for CommunicationDenis Naughten said he had received “detailed submissions” from the two remaining bidders as per Tuesday’s deadline, marking another milestone in the process.
While acknowledging Siro’s departure, he insisted: “We are one of a few countries in the world that has a compelling competing operator to the incumbent.”
He said the scheme remained on track and on schedule and that the Government’s plan would put every place name on the digital map.
“The facts are that close to 7 out of 10 premises now have access to high speed broadband. Within a year that will rise to nearly eight out of ten premises and by 2020 nine out of ten premises or 90 per cent of premises the length and breath of the country will have access to high speed broadband,” he said. However, it will be several months before the final bids, which will determine the overall cost of the plan, are submitted.
The first homes are not expected to be connected until late 2018 or even 2019.