Display specifications can be complicated, considering there are multiple factors to consider – like resolution, refresh rates, contrast ratio, aspect ratio, display size, and HDR capabilities. When looking at TVs and the source signals they receive, a point of contention is the difference between 1080p and 1080i, and what it means for the average TV owner. Below is a simple explanation of what the differences are and what you need to know about the standards.
Progressive and Interlaced
1080p and 1080i refer to a display resolution of 1,920 x 1,080 pixels, and it is the suffixes attached to the resolution number that you must pay attention to.
The “p” in 1080p stands for “progressive”, while the “i” in 1080i means “interlaced”. These terms refer to the scanning technique used to display, store, and transmit images. Progressive scanning is a common method for displaying video, with entire images displayed a certain amount of times per second.
This depends on the frames per second of the source video and the refresh rate of the TV. Interlaced scanning is different, and involves a technique in which alternating halves of an image are displayed per interlacing “field”. A single frame of interlaced 1080i video consists of two sequential 1920 x 540 images, with the first field consisting of all odd-numbered vertical pixel lines and the second all even-numbered pixel lines.
Both these half-images together create a frame every 30th of a second. This means if a second of 1080i video consists of 30 “1,920 x 1,080” frames, it includes 60 “1,920 x 540 fields”. An important note is that when the source video is 1080i/60, there are in fact no full images – as each of the 60 interlaced fields occupy a different point in time and 30 interlaced frames are displayed per second.
Due to the fidelity and fully-displayed frames, a 1080p video delivers a sharper and more refined image which can provide better quality during scenes with lots of motion. Interlaced video suffers in scenes with lots of motion, as it only displays half an image at a single point in time.
This makes it difficult to display fast movement. Compared to progressive scan, interlaced video has more jagged edges and motion artifacts. Visual quality of 1080i video can also depend on your TV, as some video processors are better at deinterlacing video than others.
Broadcast and Decoding
Currently, DStv broadcasts in 1080i and 720p, and does not offer Full HD quality.
Users who use a 1080p TV to watch DStv are in fact watching deinterlaced 1080i video or a 720p broadcast.
A major reason for 1080i broadcasts is reduced bandwidth requirements and infrastructure limitations.
DStv said in 2016 it would not offer Full HD broadcasts any time soon, as their implementation would require changes to broadcast infrastructure and use more bandwidth than the current broadcast resolutions.
Now read: Most-watched TV shows in South Africa
Yeskam Home Security Camera System Wireless 1080P with 10.7″ inch LCD Screen Display Monitor 4 Channel 2.0 Megapixel Outdoor CCTV Surveillance Cameras Pre-installed 2TB Hard Drive Full HD Recording
- All in-one Wireless HD Kits Portable 10.7″ Monitor pre-installed with 2TB Hard Drive. convenience to place anywhere only need power supply,making sure it in your cameras wifi cover.(Not touch screen)
- 1080P HD Quality See in stunning clarity and sharper details with 2.0 Megapixel(1920 x 1080) cameras and watch live streamed or recorded videos.6 Infrared New Generation LED Array that allow you to see up to 100ft in the darkness.Waterproof IP66 Metal Case.
- Ture Plug & Play with Auto-Pair Technology Just Plug the Power start to stream the video feed and the system works recording even without any Internet connection.
- Easy live View & remote snapshot recording playback all your cameras on mobile App IP PRO and computer software with WiFi or 2G/3G/4G network anytime anywhere, simple to connect,only download App and Scan add device ID.
- Yeskam Camera uses high quality chipset, the resolution and wifi connection which is so far the Best and Most applicable WiFi camera kit,also best offer with 3 Years Quality Warranty, professional engineer support team will answer your questions within 24 hours.
Yeskam 1080P Wireless Security Camera Systems with Monitor is your reliable security guard which can be used at residence or business,True Plug and Play With Auto-Pair technology, just power on the device;enjoy live video in minutes on the LCD Display.no need wires anymore, no exposed lines anymore,no need buy monitor!
Motion detection option allows you record only when motion is detected so that you can save hard drive storage space without missing important events.Email & Mobile App notification when while home or away. Pre- installed 2 TB hard-drive records continuously for 480 hours on all 4 channels in 1080p and automatic overwrite, or much longer (50+ days) using motion detection or scheduled recording. convenient installation and easy remote control, this is what the Yeskam advanced security system provides to release your mind.
4CH Wireless NVR with LCD screen
* Built in 10.7″inch LCD screen
* Video input:4*1080P
* Automatically connect WI-Fi Network camera
* HDMI , USB interface.
* Support 1sata * 4TB(Max) Hard disk
* P2P cloud technology reliazed remote view by APP(Android, IOS, IPAD)
* Support Motion detection,Manual Record,Playback.Email Alert and App notification
1080P WiFi IP Camera
1.1080p(1920 x 1080) high definition real time
2.6pcs LED Array for bullet camera with IR-CUT Function
3.all camera with 2.0MP 3.6mm lens
4.Outdoor Metal Case Waterproof IP66
1* 4CH 1080P WIFI NVR with 10.7″inch LCD Screen
4* 1080P HD WIFI IP cameras
5* power supply
1* USB Mouse
1* 1M Network cable
Included 2TB HDD
YESKAM provides 3 Years Warranty and Professional Technical online support within 24 hours.